Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dude! Where's my car???

So.... With all the crappy stuff that has been happening, window issues, snow, snow, snow, and more snow, I decided to lighten up the place and perhaps share some funny stories of my life's past.


Ahhhh... where to begin.  


I remember when I was probably 12 years old we had just bought a, new to us, blue Chevy Celebrity.  Growing up we didn't have a whole lot of money.  Mom and Dad both worked full time and getting a new car I'd do anything to take a ride in it.  Mom had gotten this book called The Entertainment Book.  It was a book of coupons for area businesses that offered free and discounted things in order to get new customers into their stores.  Mom asked me if I wanted to take a ride with her to Columbiana so she could drop something off at her friends house and we could stop at the florist and get a free rose with babies breath!  So, mom and I jump into the new car and head to Columbiana (a town about 20 minutes from where we lived).  We were coming up onto the center of town where the center of town circle was and mom said, "Will you take this coupon into the store to get our flower, and I'm going to drop this package off to Wanda (her bowling buddy) and meet you across the street?"  I of course agreed to do it.  She pulled up to the front of the corner store and I jumped out proudly holding my coupon for my free flower and walked into the store.  I remember handing my coupon to the cashier and watching make up the bouquet.  One single red rose, a patch of babies breath, rolled it up in green tissue paper and stapled it on the edge.  She handed it to me, I'm sure my eyes were as big as quarters as she asked me if I needed anything else.  I told her no thank you and left the store.


Standing outside of the store I look across the intersection and see our new dark blue car parked waiting for me to come get in.  I knew mom would be watching so I made sure to look both ways before crossing the street and watched for traffic as I walked over to the car.  I opened the door, sat down in my seat, put my seatbelt on and looked over to show my mom the flower and to my surprise it was an old man!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  I said, "Oops!", took off my seatbelt, and got out of the car.  Here the man had pulled up to the intersection in his blue car and was stopped at a RED LIGHT!  How embarrassing!  To this day I wonder what that man thought.   After he pulled away to his new turned green light my mom pulls up and I get in her car.  She knew something had happened because I was so quiet and somewhat scared of what had just happened.  


We still tell this story today when the family gets together. It just seems that weird things happen to me.  Have no fear, I have more stories to share.  I'm always doing something to embarrass myself!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment