Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 23, 2010

Hello everyone!  Welcome to The Day In The Life Of A Typical Fag.  This is my first attempt ever at blogging and my goal of this whole thing is to hopefully clear up some of the "stigma" of the "typical fags".  We're ordinary people, that just want to be happy in the world in which we inhabit.  


Let me first start by telling you that my name is Terry, and I'm a 32 year old gay man from Ohio.  I grew up in a small town south of Youngstown and can't wait to tell you all about my experiences with all of that.  Since then I've now moved to a bigger city, where being a "fag" is somewhat ok.  I've lived here now for about 7 years and love it.  


So today is Christmas Eve Eve :)  December 23.  I've been baking cakes and cookies and stressing on what I'll forget to make and remember to take tomorrow to meet with my family as we do every year.  Our family is somewhat funny when it comes to gatherings.  Half of us are from Ohio and the other half is from West Virginia.  Mom always brings baked beans, I always make homemade noodles, my Aunt Kay usually potato salad, Aunt Alice, cheesecake (my Uncle Jim's favorite dish) etc.  It's amazing how traditions set in and we all follow along like we always have.  It's very nice to see everyone on our Christmas Eve dinner, however we've all grown so much, our families have changed, and we, ourselves have changed too!  Sometimes I find myself just sitting back and watching over the room at the kids tearing into the Christmas wrap with eager eyes, waiting to see what they've gotten.  Looking at the little "cliques" among the family that haven't changed in years.  How the smokers migrate to one area and the "men" veg out in front of the TV.  It brings a smile to my face knowing that we will all be together again tomorrow.  This year is especially exciting because James, my boyfriend of almost three years, will be coming as well.  My family is very accepting of me and him both.  My parents just love him.  He treats me good and I completely adore him.


I have to say, sometimes it is a little awkward being around your family and friends and leaving yourself completely open with your partner in front of them.  It's almost like opening yourself up completely and just hoping not to be judged for it.  You never know how people truly feel about you being gay, you just hope that they are honest when they say they love you unconditionally.  I can honestly say I've been so lucky when it comes to my family.  I remember when I told my mom I was gay.  Me making a HUGE deal about it.  We were both sitting on my bed and I needed to tell her because I met a man that I liked.  I felt horrible lying to her everyday on where I was going.  I would always say that I was doing school work or study groups.  I hated lying.  I had to tell her.  So, both of us sitting on my bed I start by saying.


Me:  Mom, I have something to tell you..........
Mom:  What?
Me:  Common'.... Don't you know?  You don't have a clue?
Mom:  No?  What's wrong?  Why are you crying?
Me:  I met someone!!!
Mom: Then why are you crying???
Me:  You don't know.... Honestly?????  You have no clue???


I was just hoping for her to say ... Yes I know your gay and it's ok!  But that never happened.


Mom: No I don't know.......
Me: (more tears, practically bawiling) I met someone and it's a guy!  (bawiling)
Mom:  Oh... Is that it?!?!?
Me:  YES!
Mom:  Well I have gay friends, and it's ok!  I love you anyway for whoever you are!


I just love my mom!  She is probably the most important person in my whole life.  I respect her so much, she is my hero, she is so strong,  and such a wonderful person!  I love her with all of my heart!  Thanks for being there for me mom!  (((HUGS)))


So, moving forward with this blog my goal is to share my life, past and present, with you.  Feel free to comment anytime.  I have many stories about life that you will find hysterical I'm sure!  Please stay tuned for those, and check back frequently!   Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment